Tuesday 12 May 2015

Cafe mascots



Cafe mascots


I thought that designing some mascots for my fictional cafe would work well with it's theme and would increase the over-all appeal of the cafe. Mascots are designed to be recognisable and visually appealing to the general public as well as representing a certain brand or company.


Some well-known mascots that also fit with my cafe's theme would be characters such as Hello Kitty and Rillakuma. 




(Above: A Hello Kitty muffin and mousse cake from the Sanrio cafe in Japan)




(Above; Rillakuma branded strawberry roll cake and strawberry flavoured kit-kat bar. Rillakuma often appears on Japanese sweets packaging. He's become so popular, he could actually rival Hello Kitty)


After thinking it over and getting continuously stuck in an idea rut as to what my mascots should actually be, I decided to make them little angels and demons, two boys and two girls. 


This is the first drawings I've done of them all and I'm really happy with their designs. The angels are based on the servers you would find in a maid cafe crossed with modern fairy kei fashion (as you can see from the angel girl's pastel coloured hair and frilly clothes and the angel boy's pastel two-toned star print suit and ear studs). The demons were inspired by Rockabilly fashion (this was taken from the common occurrence of 50's American influence in cafes and diners) but they also have some Fairy Kei inspired clothes (such as the demon girl's stockings and the demon boys pastel coloured jeans).

I decided to make them angels and demons since I thought their designs could be fun and appealing to young children but also a little edgy and geared also towards teens and young adults.

I've also drawn them in a more regular proportioned style from the waist up, so they can also be used in promotional work without having to shrink them down too much.





I thought giving each of my mascots different body types could increase their visual appeal towards a wider audience who could also relate a little to them if they were similarly proportioned.

I've also used the smaller versions of the angels and demons mascots on four different card holders I've designed, which would be displayed in the cafe itself.


No comments:

Post a Comment