Monday 12 January 2015

Guide books


Guide Books



I'm going to base my zine on a sight seeing guide book based in a fictional haunted town of my own creation.

For inspiration, I've looked at illustrated instructional books, unusual guide books and short pamphlets from different eras.

Recipe books, textile craft and tourist's guides to different countries are the most popular subjects of instructional books.





I've been inspired by old guide books (particularly ones from the 1950s-60s) and the minimalistic colours that would often be used for their covers. Guide book covers, usually American made books, were often coloured with a limited colour palette and kept very simplistic design-wise.


For the front cover of my zine, I'll be using the same limited colour palette with simplistic lining and block shapes that are used in most vintage guide books. To fit with the zine's dark themes, I'll be using less bright, bold colours and more dark, gothic colours.

No comments:

Post a Comment